Saturday, October 23, 2010

Friendship Clinic

This morning I had the opportunity to get my feet wet in an awesome program. It's called the Friendship Clinic. I'm in a group at school called Community Integrated Medicine that is involved in promoting health in the community through health fairs, flu shot clinics, the Friendship Clinic (FC), etc... FC is awesome for two reasons. First of all, it provides medical care at no cost to the patients (save prescription costs). And, second of all, it provides what I think is the best experience I'll have to learn how to be a doctor at this point in my overall medical education.


But, aside from the benefits it provides in patient interactions and medical knowledge, the biggest benefit is the reality check it provided for me this morning. I called home today after leaving the clinic and stated that my childhood dream of having a summer home on Lake Charlevoix was off the table. There was no way I could justify it. The money could be better used somewhere else, more specifically helping someone else. Besides, I like camping. Even little things, I mean, I could totally live off Ramen noodles, right? Ok, so that's a little dramatic and a road headed straight for hypertension, (can you say sodium overload?) but I think you see where I'm coming from...

My Dad responded, "Amy, not even Jesus solved the world from poverty." Good point, Dad. But he also commanded us, "Freely you have received, freely give." So, where's the line? And so, while my comments were somewhat emotionally charged, I called home because I knew that he'd let me vent and then proceed to rationalize my overly ambitious thoughts. I'm so thankful for what he said to me. It was Godly advice. In a nutshell, he told me, God will show you where to put your resources, where to spend your time, and how to use the gifts he will lavish upon you if you follow his will. I guess I may have jumped the gun a bit. It'll be years, decades!, before I have to decide where to buy a house. One day at a time.

We also talked about how the government, while well intentioned to provide healthcare for each and every person, is way off track. It is not the government's responsibility to provide care for every single person. It is ours. Especially those who are fortunate enough to have received an education in providing a service to help people--as a medical professional or mechanic or you fill in the blank. We have the responsibility to provide what the government was never intended to, and quite frankly, can't provide. A system of checks and balances that extends beyond the walls of congress and relies on the trust built between people that can actually hold each other accountable. Because the sex offender who was put in prison for 12 years, has been unemployed for the last 7, and was the patient I saw in the clinic this morning needs a system that will hold him accountable, one that he trusts, and one that will support him so long as he is honestly attempting to support himself. And the federal government, as hard as it may try, will never be able to do that.

The only thing that can change a life is a love that extends further than what we are capable of giving as mere men and women. One of the coordinators at the clinic even mentioned that the biggest way you can treat a patient is by validating them, make them feel worthy to be here. We all need a love that is patient and kind. One that does not envy or boast, is not proud or rude or self seeking. One that keeps no record of wrongs. A love that protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres. A love that never fails. My dad also reminded me that it's okay to feel heartache for the men and women I saw today. That that feeling is there for a reason. Thanks, Dad. While short, sweet, and to the point, our conversation today has had a bigger impact on me that I was expecting. I just pray that that feeling doesn't go away, but continues to motivate me. Especially as I go to prepare for my biochemistry final...ugh.

This post is dedicated to: my Dad

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Amy nice blog--you can call anytime. Like the picture of the scuba pros. Mal is already trying to get us back to Panama City for spring break. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post made me so happy! it reminded me of you pointing out things like this on late nights at Howder...you always say just what I need to hear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true amy! sometimes it's easy to fall into the grandiose give-to-the-world phase. not that that's a bad thing, but learning to be productive & realistic rather than just feel this vague corporate guilt. not saying you do that.. but i know i do sometimes. :) miss you SO much.

    ReplyDelete