Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Patriotism

I need to preface this post by saying that I am in no way an expert in politics. These are just my thoughts. So for all my Hillsdale Political Science junkies or for others who are way more in tune to our ever changing political environment, my sincere apologies. Your thoughts, positive or negative, are welcome.
I was reading Imprimis the other night. I realize some of this is old news, but it struck me in such a way that I wanted to write about it.
The article focused a lot on the values of the Tea Party movement that is sweeping through America. It has bothered me for awhile that people are so critical of Americans getting involved in politics. For me, it's encouraging to see so many people who are passionate about our country finally standing up for principles our country was founded upon. I just pulled out my handy pocket sized Declaration of Independence and Constitution, compliments of Hillsdale College, and read, "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, its is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." It's unsettling to me that our government and the mainstream media have continued to throw those who are getting involved and attempting to better our country under the bus time and time again. Those involved in the Tea Party are refusing to bend, refusing to give in, and refusing to allow a President turn this country into something it was never intended to be--passive and unpatriotic. With leadership comes responsibility.
Stephen Hayes writes:

After her husband had won several primaries in a row in the spring of 2008, Michelle Obama proclaimed that for the first time in her life she was proud of her country. It was a stunning statement. It also foreshadowed what was to come: Since Barack Obama took office in January 2009, he has devoted much of his time to criticizing his own country. He apologizes for the policy decisions of his predecessors. He worries aloud that the U.S. has become too powerful. He has explicitly rejected the doctrine of American Exceptionalism .

It's easy to become complacent. It takes an active decision to fight complacency in order to overcome its temptation. But I'm thankful that those fighting against an administration that is attempting to dissolve our American Patriotism are refusing to be complacent.  It's their patriotism that inspires me and makes me proud that in a few years I'll have the privilege to serve our country regardless of whether it's a Republican or Democrat Commander and Chief I'll be serving under. It inspires me to get involved and to pay attention.
Me, Nick Scobel, and Ryan dutifully reciting the Pledge of Allegiance on the 4th of July 
Some quotes from my reading material so generously supplied by the USAF during COT this summer:

"In a democracy, the individual enjoys not only the ultimate power but carries the ultimate responsibility."
- Norman Cousins

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

"Duty, then, is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more. You should never wish to do less. "
- General Robert E. Lee
FYI: Sublimest = Of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Amy. It is so bothersome when people forget what our country was founded upon and try to let the government control the people instead of the people control the government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loveit Ames. :) couldn't agree more. Today is the day that the Health Care plan actually goes into effect. If you want a short & hilarious summary of current events, read WSJ's Best of the Web Today.

    ReplyDelete