Thursday, February 7, 2013

The 6 Month Rule

There is something magic that happens after you live in a new place for 6 months. 

It's been about 7 months since I moved to Bay City and it finally feels like I've settled in. Erin Cvengros and I have noticed a pattern when moving to an unfamiliar place, so therefore I think it's starting to become a rule. A rule that says you must wait 6 months before judging a new city or deciding definitively if you like it there.

I like it here. I like walking in the hospital and saying a familiar hello to nurses and doctors I recognize. I like knowing the other students comfortably enough that I feel like I could call them on a weekday to go grab dinner or a drink because I also like that I now know where my favorite places to eat and drink are located. I like that I feel comfortable in the role of a third year medical student. I like that I can go to a new rotation and not feel nervous about not knowing what to expect. I like that constantly changing environments are now what I expect. I like that I've learned to be more comfortable in my naive medical and life knowledge. I like that I'm adjusting to being asked questions on the fly. I like that I'm here. And I like that I don't wish it was over.

I like feeling comfortable in my own skin. Upon reflecting back to where I was 7 months ago, it's hard to imagine where I'll be 7 months from now. And also really encouraging. I'm enjoying the uncertainty in my life because I am happy with who I am and where I am. And because I've finally persevered through the magic 6 months of growing pains. Here's to the next year and a half before doing another trial of the 6 month rule!

And I'm also really enjoying OB-GYN. It's been a very good week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment