Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Inspired by Katie

Meet my cousin Katie. She's the reason I'm reading again. And actually finishing books! And making my own laundry detergent.
CHARLEVOIX!

I've been reading more since I got back to school for the semester. It started with The Real Hope in Chicago By Wayne Gordon which Katie recommended to me. I stayed with her in Jackson earlier this month while doing my preceptorship at a family practice in town. Staying with her sorta jump started my previous interest in community development (more recently suppressed by studying), mainly because it's what she does, and it was so awesome to glean a little of her experience while I was there. For the record , I can't meet anymore Katies or Erins, it gets confusing when I talk about them to other people--all good things of course!


So, my next book, which is not complete, but will be! is  Irresistible Revolution. I want to document some of the parts that have 1. really challenged me 2. really inspired me 3. made me think or 4. really made me want to reevaluate my life and I could talk AT LENGTH about each one. Here's my attempt to work on the art of brevity. One concept at a time.

In the introduction Shane Claiborne writes:
"This book is not an autobiography...But I do write autobiographically, knowing that few things have more transformative power than people and stories."

I love this. Mostly because I feel like my life has been transformed by stories. Stories break down stereotypes, they are challenging, inspiring, and sometimes heartbreaking, and stories are what make the Bible come alive for me. It's my goal to be a better story teller. Telling a good story is more of an art than I'd like to admit. But, that's why it's a goal. I think that's why I'm going to love getting histories from people as a med student, I love to hear their stories. I just hate that there's usually a time constraint. 

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you are finishing books! We will have to chat soon and you can recommend some to me. Also... how do you make your own laundry detergent???

    ReplyDelete