Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Blood Covenant

This past weekend I headed to Hillsdale, but not to visit the college, although I did stop in to see a few friends...and steal their sleeping bags. I went to attend a CMDA retreat. CMDA=Christian Medical and Dental Association. And I was blessed to have my roommate, most valuable friend, fellow Lieutenant and med student there to experience it with me. All week since we've been back (even despite failing, almost certainly, our cardio exam), we've been talking about how much it changed our perspective and was 100% worth every minute. Our plan is to make a "blood (probably without actual blood) covenant" with each other about how our future lives WILL reflect our relationship with Christ. Maybe we'll lay our right hands on a Hematology book or something. The idea is not to let each other off the hook, no matter where we are or what we're doing. What's so great is that for the next decade or so, our lives will be pretty similar. I am so thankful and forever indebted to God for the gift of a close friend to share all the headaches and victories of medical school and the air force. But, most importantly, for our bond as sisters in Christ.
Erin and I in front of the jet we flew. Just kidding. I wish.
I was asked for a response to the weekend and this was the best synopsis I could come up with:
At the Midwest CMDA Retreat, Dr. Donlon shared this quote from Martin Luther, "For me there are two days. Today and that day." That day refers to the day we meet Jesus. Spending time with so many fellow disciples following Christ and serving him through medical careers inspired and challenged me this past weekend. It put a sense of urgency into my day to day life. I have been blessed beyond my wildest dreams and am responsible for the investments with which God has entrusted me. Depending upon the accountability of fellow classmates and the wisdom of the Lord, I will live as if there were only two days; motivated by the desire to hear the words, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." Matthew 25:34

I'm excited to sit down and create a written document stating my intentions for my life. But mostly, I'm excited to share them with her and know that together we can make our seemingly far off goals a reality. I need the accountability. And as always, God has provided.
A random (but awesome) picture from AMP and our first experience at a Skyline Chili.
Taking advantage of military discounts...and aparently, cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment