Thursday, July 26, 2012

Friends


I was asked to share a little about how the Christian Medical and Dental Association has blessed me since starting med school and wanted to document it here. I feel so lucky to have been at MSU and to have met the people I have. If I had a dollar for every time I told someone about my awesome friends from school, I don't think I'd need the military to pay for med school. 

The best part about my first 2 years of medical school has been, without a doubt, the people I've met through our CMDA group. [And, to be complete here, some others outside of it too...] They've become like family. To have their encouragement has been 100% invaluable.

 Beginning at MSU, I could not have imagined how much my faith would be challenged and strengthened. Through our weekly Bible study, one-on-one spiritual mentoring with our CMDA staff on campus, attending conferences and retreats, experiencing missions with a team in Haiti, and gaining insight from local physicians on practicing Christian healthcare, my vision for practicing medicine has become more of a lifestyle and less of a career. It's taken on a God must become more, and I must become less approach that I'm learning to incorporate into my life as a student. 


In fact, using Luke 12 as our guide, another CMDA student and I sat down and wrote a detailed covenant that explains how we commit to building the kingdom of God as physicians by focusing on relationships, finances, and the community. We've promised to continually examine each other's lives to live and work according to God's Word, not the world. I am more aware of the physician God is molding me to be and so so thankful that I have the accountability through my friends from CMDA to encourage me to stay true to my calling as a disciple of Christ. 

Hebrews 12 has never been so true for me: 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment