Monday, May 21, 2012

The Little Engine That Could

A long time ago, I received an analogy that describes life, not as a roller coaster as is often the temptation, but instead as a railroad track; two parallel lines, coexisting, and only complete if both are present.

Why? Because life isn't full of ups and downs. Life is full both of ups and downs, usually side by side, coexisting, and only complete if both are present at the same time.

This analogy reminded me of The Little Engine That Could book.
I never imagined relating so well to a personified steam engine.
This weekend I was overwhelmed with both discouragement and joy. Contentment and restlessness.

Alison got married! I saw many dear friends and had some great overdue conversations. I was filled with nostalgia as I drove US-12 from Hillsdale to Saline as I had done so many times during college, passed the 7 eleven were my family stopped every Wednesday night after youth group, and ran a 5k with Kirsten that ended on the Eastern Michigan University track where I've run many memorable races.

Not surprisingly, the discouragement and restlessness was rooted in all things medical school. I never would have imagined how hyper-emotional the stress of preparing for exam after exam along side a couple hundred people who seem way smarter than me could be. But, I laugh when I think about how ridiculous all of this will seem in just a year down the road.

The book I mentioned in my last post, A Minute of Margin, has been my go to lately. Today's message was especially relevant. If you've ever experienced doubt or disappointment due to unmet expectations I encourage you to read the following:
Expectation overload is one of the most difficult overloads to control...We expect health, wealth, and ease. But reining in expectations is a human possibility. Instead of following the "more and more" of progress and the "you deserve the best" of culture, we can follow the "be content with what you have" of Scripture. Our lifestyles can relax, our spirits can rest, our relationships can thrive, and our margin can replenish. If you give your expectations to God and then accept what the day brings, you'll discover a rare freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment