Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Margin


http://www.richardswenson.org/books/minute-of-margin.html
My Uncle Dave gave me this book. The author, Dr. Richard Swenson, says this in the intro:
Margin is a space, specifically the space between our load and our limits. It is this space that enhances vitality and resilience. It is this space that guarantees sustainability. It is in this space where healing occurs, where our batteries are recharged, where our relationships are nourished, and where wisdom is found. Without margin, both rest and contemplation are but theoretical concepts, unaffordable and unrealistic. 
I've realized more in this past week that margins are something you have to fight for. If you don't, the inherent vortex of modern society and progress will suck anyone in. It sucked me in.

This book is set up in one minute, daily reflections. At the beginning there is a quote and at the end a prescription; practical ways to start creating margin (This guy is a doctor after all...).

Rx: Make an intentional decision about how much marginlessness--this is, how much overload--is acceptable in your life...For me, getting off of Facebook has been that. I feel no less connected to the world. It's helping me be where I am. For me, something that was meant to enhance life by making it easier to stay in touch, was only making it more complex. It opened more relationships and opportunities than I could handle well. Its benefits have encouraged me to look to simplify my life in other ways. As my mom has always said, less is more.

Happiness is a place between too little and too much. 
-Finnish Proverb

1 comment: