Saturday, February 4, 2012

Community vs Independence

In Irresistible Revolution, Shawn Claiborne says this about his time spent in Calcutta, India.

On a leper colony:
"...it was so close to what I saw in the early church; a people on the margins giving birth to another way of living, a new community marked by interdependence and sacrificial love. They had not chosen to live in "intentional community." Their survival demanded community. Community was their life. The gospel was their language."

This, along with a few other recent instances, has made me question the importance I place on individuality and being self-dependent. I've been valuing independence for so long.
But recently I've begun to realize the beauty in relinquishing my independence. God is showing me that the importance I have placed on providing for myself and trying to avoid asking for help is not what he intended. We aren't created to go it alone. It's my goal to fight against the individualistic mentality that is so common today. Being in community is such a blessing.
...Especially communities like Pinterest. You all know what I mean...! Check out this recipe I found and tried this morning...so delicious! And something I never would've come up with on my own!
Baked Egg and Avocado!! You know how people take pretty pictures of their food? I apparently can't do that...BUT, it's delicious. Don't just take my word for it...







1 comment:

  1. I like your thinking, I occasionally wonder why I left family and friends for a new community, it makes me question where my values lie. We should talk soon... I'm calling you now!

    ReplyDelete