Sunday, February 19, 2012

English in Medical School

Since medical school began I have learned how to spell some words that have always tripped me up. Off the top of my head, there are a few I now spell flawlessly.
- rhythm
- diarrhea
- hemorrhage
- erythropoietin
Ok, so maybe I never had to spell hemorrhage  or erythropoietin before. But I couldn't spell them when I started medical school and if I need to spell either one on the exam Monday, I'll get them right.

Here's some cool quotes from lecture on Friday. The doctor speaking was an electrophysiologist. He was so smart and so cool. Someone you would want to go have a beer with after he maps out the electrical pathways of your heart. The lecture from which the quotes came was on atrial fibrillation--which seems to be pretty mysterious. I think that was the subliminal message he was sending us in these quotes at least...

First slide:
"As we aquire more knowledge things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious."
- Albert Schweitzer

Last slide:
"...The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
- Robert Frost

1 comment:

  1. I really like that quote about knowledge! Life in general becomes more mysterious and wondrous if we approach it in that way.

    ReplyDelete